What is the history of Lincoln Marsh?
A Timeline Summary
Based on an archaeological survey performed in 1987 it was determined that the Lincoln Marsh area was a hunting ground during the Late Woodland Period with likely the same topography as today.
Mid to late 1800’s: The land is owned and subdivided by Elias Jewell & Erastus Gary.
1943: The land is purchased by Mr. Rogers and reported as farmland. It was most likely used for agricultural crops and pastureland.
1950’s: The land is subdivided into multiple parcels.
1973: A group of concerned citizens fought to preserve the open space.
1979: The Wheaton Park District and several other local and state agencies began purchasing the more than 100 parcels that form the core of the park. Funding for land purchases was provided by the Wheaton Park District, the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County, DuPage County Department of Transportation, City of Wheaton, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, and the U.S. Department of the Interior, with the assistance of the Conservation Foundation.
Late 80s: The first manager literally cleaned up the marsh, removing cars, starting ecological restoration, and building boardwalks.
1992: Lincoln Marsh land acquisition was completed to form the core 130 acres. The grand opening on May 9th was presented by The Partners for Lincoln Marsh, a community group dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the natural area.
Today: The park has grown to 150 acres and land acquisition continues around the perimeter to enhance existing open space, reduce potential flood damages, and enhance flood control. Staff and volunteers actively work towards restoring the wetland, woodland, and prairie ecosystems that make up Lincoln Marsh.